Position Overview and Background:
WJCT News seeks a news curator and writer to create a daily newsletter to add to our portfolio of offerings for the Northeast Florida audience.
Subscribers should feel like they know everything they need to know about local and state events, politics, and cultural happenings to start their day. The newsletter will be an important new product offering as part of WJCT’s strategy to significantly expand its role in serving our regional market with innovative journalism. It is also a key part of the WJCT News digital strategy to engage our audience and ultimately convert them into supporters of their local public media organization.
In addition, WJCT plans to increase its level of audience engagement beyond the newsletter, through tools such as Hearken. This position will also be responsible for the day-to-day management of these initiatives.
Key Responsibilities in this position:
Write WJCT News newsletter Sunday through Thursday evenings for M-F morning distribution
· Curate local, state, and occasional national news stories from WJCT News and other sources
· Use engagement tools such as Google forms, Hearken and text messaging platforms, combined with social media, to solicit audience questions and feedback to guide editorial strategy
· Do original reporting to answer audience questions and work with news director to assign questions to other reporters
· Track key performance metrics like open and click-through rates and work with team members to adjust strategy accordingly
What we are looking for in a candidate/team member:
· Excellent writing skills with a strong “voice”
· Ability to meld personal insights and even humor with the professional tone of WJCT News
· Excellent news judgment
· Self-starter who thrives on a daily deadline
· Strong grasp of grammar, punctuation, and AP style rules
· Preferred: Deep knowledge of Northeast Florida dynamics, politics, and geography
· Preferred: A demonstrated track record of growing subscriber base for a newsletter, especially if news related
Why work for WJCT?
WJCT is a diverse, forward-thinking, community-owned public media organization serving Jacksonville and the First Coast since 1958, using television, radio, digital media, and live events to help community members learn, share, and grow.
How to apply:
· Send an email to email@example.com, highlighting the position you are applying for in the subject line
· Write a cover letter in the body of the email on why you’re the right candidate
· Attach your resume to the email
· Include 2-3 links relative to the position you are applying for that reflect some of your best work!
WJCT is a drug-free workplace and equal access and equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V