Why this position is key:
An increasing emphasis on local journalism is an important part of WJCT’s plan because:
· Journalism on public radio across the country, and to a lesser extent on public television, has seen growing audiences over recent years
· The crisis in the local news ecosystem of NE Florida, including the shrinking of both readership and newsroom resources requires an urgent response so that the region can enjoy the many benefits of having an informed citizenry with adequate information resources
· The rise in non-profit digital-first news organizations across the country suggests that local news can become a more sustainable enterprise at WJCT if the product set offered is adapted to audience preferences and modern trends in news consumption and support
Our vision for what’s ahead:
Over the last 18 months, WJCT has taken the first steps toward this goal by improving its on-air output on radio and trialing new digital formats. Now we plan to build our capabilities further, and we are looking for a senior editor to help lead the next stage of editorial development for four key initiatives:
· WJCT.org: With the upcoming migration to a new CMS, we are ready to transform the WJCT News web site into a more vital part of the NE Florida news ecosystem.
· ADAPT: Launched as a digital magazine devoted to coverage of adaptation to sea-level rise and other effects of climate change in the region ADAPT now has a dedicated reporter and has pivoted from an occasional online magazine to a monthly newsletter showcasing deep reporting and an events series. More at adaptflorida.org.
· The Jaxson: In 2018 WJCT formed a partnership with Modern Cities, a local blog devoted to covering Jacksonville’s urban history and development, to create The Jaxson – a digital-first outlet with radio and event components. More at thejaxsonmag.com.
· Our most ambitious project in development is a new news platform for NE Florida/the Jacksonville region, designed to offer a compelling mix of coverage with an emphasis on holding government and other civic leaders accountable through watchdog journalism. This new platform builds on but is separate from, our high-quality news service on WJCT News 89.9.
This role will:
·Work with members of the editorial, digital and management teams to develop and articulate a compelling and sustainable vision for and to execute all WJCT’s digital-first journalism initiatives
· Oversee day-to-day editorial management of special projects, including story development, assignment, copy editing, etc.
· Help supervise digital editor to ensure daily news comports with editorial vision
· Work with WJCT team members and freelancers to incorporate the richness of digital reporting and presentation techniques: data reporting, data visualization, visual and multimedia storytelling, etc. into all of WJCT’s digital initiatives.
· Participate in reporting, writing, and presentation of key stories
· Work with Director of Individual Support for Journalism, help plan and execute a strategy to manage the “funnel” – the journey from online visitor to financial supporter
· Work with colleagues to plan and implement a social media strategy for the initiatives
· Help manage events associated with all initiatives
· Work with colleagues in the news team to develop stories across audio (radio and podcasting) and written formats.
Why work for WJCT?
WJCT is a diverse, forward-thinking, community-owned public media organization serving Jacksonville and the First Coast since 1958, using television, radio, digital media, and live events to help community members learn, share, and grow.
What we are looking for in a candidate:
· Substantial experience as an editor of high-quality journalism, including experience at a digital-first outlet
· A track record of work that has successfully found an audience
· Competence in digital publishing tools
· An ability to attract editorial talent
· Ability to work in a team environment, while also displaying individual initiative
·Proficiency in AP Style
·Experience in non-profit journalism, either in public media or outside, is preferred
How to Apply:
· Send an email to email@example.com stating the position applying for in the subject line
· Write a cover letter in the body of the email on why you’re the right candidate
· Attach your resume to the email
· Include 2-3 links that reflect some of your best work relative to the position
WJCT is a drug-free workplace and equal access and equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org