WJCT News, a nonprofit media outlet delivering public-service journalism in the Jacksonville region, is looking for a reporter to cover the policies and impact of local government with a keen focus on accountability.
The ideal reporter has a track record of telling complex stories in engaging and memorable ways. The beat will be a combination of breaking news reporting and long-form/enterprise stories for the web and on radio.
While we are a broadcast public media outlet with our share of national awards for audio storytelling, we are looking for someone who is first and foremost an excellent journalist.
WJCT News depends in large part on the financial support of our community, and we strive to serve that community for decades to come with journalism worthy of their investment.
- Rock-solid journalistic ethics;
- At least 2 to 5 years reporting news for print, web, radio, or TV;
- Impeccable research, writing and reporting skills, including requesting public records;
- Ability to conduct and record interviews in studio and on location;
- Media agility, or the ability to shift comfortably between writing radio scripts and online news articles;
- Experience publishing with content management systems (ideally WordPress);
- Ability to work collaboratively with other reporters, editors, and producers;
- Willingness to try new storytelling methods and adapt to changing platforms and audience needs;
- Self-directed, can work unsupervised on deadline;
- Ability to pitch WJCT to the community on air during fundraising pledge drives.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field;
- Experience building a reporting beat and developing topical expertise;
- Demonstrated abilities to break news and uncover wrongdoing;
- Mastery of audio gathering, editing, mixing, and vocal performance;
- Experience with multimedia production, including still and video photography;
- Ability to write “sticky” headlines;
- Knowledge of Northeast Florida’s politics and major issues;
- Familiarity with the public radio style of reporting and presentation;
- Live on-air hosting experience a plus.