In-depth reporting about Wyoming's people, places & policy
Reports to: Chief executive & editor
WyoFile is returning the facts to Wyoming’s civic discourse with community-supported, non-partisan watchdog journalism. To make that happen, we’re looking for an enterprising Development Director to execute a growth-oriented, multi-year major-donor development strategy that connects the philanthropic community with our mission. This is a rare “Goldilocks” opportunity — the chance to create, innovate and have lasting impact in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment while also enjoying the security and credibility of a market leader with established community buy-in. The right candidate will leave their mark on WyoFile, Wyoming and American democracy.
- Established: 2008
- Employees: 7+
- Annual budget: $700k
- Contributing members: 800
- 70% digital user growth in last two years
- 50+ state and regional publications that rely on WyoFile reporting
What you’ll do:
- Execute the day-to-day, out-the-door, major-donor relationship development and stewardship work needed to generate more than $400,000 per year.
- Develop goals, strategies, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship plans for each donor, ensuring that each one receives frequent personalized contact.
- Draft donor correspondence and develop messages, strategy memos, talking points, and donor materials.
- Implement a communications plan, including development of messages, materials, and explanations of our work used in strategic donor communications, Annual Reports, newsletters, and other communications that advance our mission and visibility.
- Contact, cultivate and solicit new prospective donors.
- Track, manage and report on prospect pipelines.
- Maintain and expand a portfolio of underwriting prospects.
- Build and maintain an appropriate donor management database to ensure professional data management.
- Collaborate on seasonal membership drives.
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Relationship fluency. You are a person who connects easily with people of all descriptions and for whom the intricacies of relationship management are as natural as breathing.
- Professional persuasiveness. You are comfortable identifying, drawing out and addressing objections; able to craft a compelling message and adapt it to your audience and situation; and are effective face-to-face, on the phone and in writing. You relish asking the tough question. You love to close.
- Solution seeking instincts. The win-win is your holy grail, you’re open minded enough to recognize it, no matter its form, and accustomed to finding it.
- Goal orientation and intrinsic motivation. Challenges inspire you, particularly when the objective is clear. You are accustomed to tackling ambitious, complex initiatives in which failure is not an option.
- Effective communications. You have the ability to effortlessly convey the importance of local news to a thriving democracy and a healthy community.
- Fundraising savvy. You know, or know where to find, the systems, tools and infrastructure necessary to build a modern development operation.
We’re especially interested in candidates who:
- Have worked in or can demonstrate a passion for journalism
- Are personally grounded in the unique cultures of Wyoming
- Have demonstrated experience with major gifts work
We’re committed to building an inclusive newsroom that represents the people and communities we seek to serve. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply for our Development Director job, including women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and people who are differently abled.
- Start date: Spring 2020
- Salary range: $60K – $70K
- Location: Wyoming, preferably Lander — a bustling small town and outdoor recreation destination in the foothills of the Wind River Range, adjacent to the Wind River Indian Reservation.
- Significant windshield time — long hours traversing Wyoming’s wild wonderful landscape — required.
- WyoFile offers a competitive salary, health insurance, paid time off, flexible work environment and other benefits.
To apply please address resume and cover letter to Matthew Copeland at firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com