In-depth reporting about Wyoming's people, places & policy
Reports to: Chief Executive & Editor
Location: Lander, Wyoming
WyoFile is returning the facts to Wyoming’s civic life with community-supported, non-partisan watchdog journalism. To make that happen, we’re looking for an enterprising Membership Manager to strengthen and expand community buy-in — financial support, reader engagement and advocacy — for WyoFile and our mission throughout the state and beyond. This is a rare “Goldilocks” opportunity — the chance to create, innovate and have lasting impact in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment while also enjoying the security and credibility of a market leader with established community buy-in. The right candidate will leave their mark on WyoFile, Wyoming and American democracy.
- Established: 2008
- Employees: 7+
- Annual budget: $700k
- Contributing members: 800
- 70% digital user growth in last two years
- 50+ state and regional publication that rely on WyoFile reporting
What you’ll do:
- Define, implement and execute systems to convert readers into subscribers, subscribers into contributors, contributors into champions
- Design and execute seasonal membership drives
- Plan, organize and coordinate community outreach events
- Enlist and manage volunteer advocates
- Correspond with readers
- Implement a member-focused communications plan that engenders a sense of ownership and in-group affiliation, including development of messages, materials, newsletters, membership solicitations and other communications that advance our mission and visibility
- Identify and pursue opportunities for support from members’ businesses
- Manage, leverage and maintain membership data in our donor management system
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Professional persuasiveness. You’re a natural motivator and effortless organizer. Whether it’s what book to read or which party to attend you’re a natural trendsetter and people follow your lead. You may have found a professional outlet for this working on a campaign, in word-of-mouth marketing or as an influencer.
- Technology savvy. Digital communication is second nature. You recognize the immense capabilities of solid data and communications tools to organize and mobilize markets, and have experience leveraging such tools to great effect.
- Goal orientation and intrinsic motivation. Challenges inspire you, particularly when the objective is clear. You are accustomed to tackling ambitious, complex initiatives in which failure is not an option.
- Great customer service instincts. You tend to put yourself in the individuals’ shoes and are able to see an organization and its behavior from the individual’s perspective.
- Creativity and follow-through. You are an idea engine, and a task master. You dream up out-of-the-box solutions and have a demonstrated history of implementing them.
- Exceptional attention to detail. You sweat the small stuff, be it a repetitive task, the fine-points of a message or pulling off the perfect party, while never losing track of the timeline and deadlines.
We’re especially interested in candidates who:
- Have worked in or can demonstrate a passion for journalism or civic engagement
- Are personally grounded in the unique cultures of Wyoming
- Have demonstrated experience in professional persuasion
We’re committed to building an inclusive newsroom that represents the people and communities we seek to serve. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply for our Membership Manager job, including women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and people who are differently abled.
- Start date: Spring 2020
- Salary range: $40K – $45K
- Location: Lander Wyoming — a bustling small town and outdoor recreation destination in the foothills of the Wind River Range, adjacent to the Wind River Indian Reservation.
- Occasional windshield time — long hours traversing Wyoming’s wild wonderful landscape — required.
- WyoFile offers a competitive salary, health insurance, paid time off, flexible work environment and other benefits.
To apply please address resume and cover letter to Matthew Copeland at email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org