INN's technology team exists to support our members.
We help our members become more sustainable by listening carefully to their needs, identifying common problems and then crafting solutions. We will never be a replacement for local investment in technology at member organizations, but we're committed to supporting our member organizations and working on shared challenges together.
This means that we will:
- Identify common needs that a number of members share. (We are often unable to provide one-on-one assistance for free and instead offer paid consulting services to members at a highly reduced rate.)
- Build platforms and tools to address these needs but recognize that each member is different and the tools we build need to be customizable to suit these needs. For example, with Largo, we save members time and money by aiming to eliminate 90 percent of the effort typically involved in building a WordPress news website because the needs of sites are very similar, thus freeing you up to spend your time and money on the last 10 percent that is unique to your organization (mostly look and feel, in our experience).
- Invest in documentation, group training and resources to help members use and get the most out of the tools we build.
- Negotiate on our members' behalf to get free or reduced pricing for common third-party software and services.
As part of their INN membership, our members receive:
For members using Largo (our WordPress framework/platform):
- Free hosting for one (primary) website in our WordPress multisite network on WP Engine (high-end managed WordPress hosting). We can host additional sites but reserve the right to pass on some of our hosting and infrastructure costs for members that want to host more than one site with us.
- Automatic updates to WordPress core, supported plugins and the Largo framework.
- Free access to fonts from Adobe's Typekit library.
- Site licenses for a number of premium WordPress plugins.
For members participating in collaborative investigations and data projects:
- News applications and interactive features to support collaborative investigations, localizable and flexible enough to work on a variety of member websites regardless of CMS.
- Help with integrating these apps/features into their stories and websites.
- Promotion of member stories through our website, newsletters and social media.
For members who want to use the tools we build:
- Easy to understand documentation.
- Individual assistance. We always recommend reading the documentation first (and helping us improve it if we miss something!), but if you get stuck we're happy to provide assistance and answer any questions you might have.
- We love feedback, and wherever possible we will prioritize feature requests from members.
For all members:
- Discounted rates on paid consulting — currently $85/hr for members, reduced from our regular rate of $175/hr.
- Open office hours every Friday from 2-3 p.m. ET. Members can sign up for a 30-minute (or more, if you clear it with us in advance) block to meet with our entire team and get feedback on projects in progress or any tech-related issues you might be facing.
- General tech help. Please consider signing up for our open office hours and/or paid consulting services, but when time and resources allow we're happy to answer general tech questions as they come up and help in any way we can.
For developers at member organizations:
- Support for open-source projects. As a team we're committed to supporting members' open-source projects. If you need help with something feel free to reach out to us.
- Help promoting your projects. We're happy to help get the word out about your projects on our team blog, the @INNnerds Twitter account, and via INN's other communication channels. Please share your stuff and pitch us guest blog post ideas anytime you launch a new project.
General inquiries can be sent to the product and technology team at: email@example.com.