Website The Conversation US
Academic rigor, journalistic flair
The Conversation U.S. is not your typical newsroom, and this is not your typical audience engagement job. We’re looking for someone who will embrace our mission of amplifying the voices of experts to audiences hungry for facts, bringing our content to viewers as well as readers, and taking our social media presence to the next level.
Our ideal candidate lives for the next trending hashtag, whether on Twitter, Insta, or TikTok (where we recently launched an account), but can also focus on building our brand and audience instead of pursuing the next flashy thing. We’re looking for someone driven to vastly expand our social media presence by setting a savvy strategy and then executing on it. We want a videographer who can write and shoot attention-grabbing posts to showcase the knowledge and expertise of our academic authors, explaining their research and issues in the news. We need a journalist who understands the importance of being accurate as well as engaging.
This full-time position is currently a work-from-home job. Anticipating a post-pandemic world, we prefer to hire somebody in a city where we have an office – Boston, New York, or San Francisco – but we will consider candidates in other locations. You’ll be joining a growing nonprofit newsroom filled with passionate, intelligent, and fun co-workers.
The Conversation U.S. is deeply committed to inclusion and diversity. We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented groups – including people who are Black, Latinx, Asian American, Native American, LGBTQ+ or veterans of the armed services – to apply to join our team.
● Design and implement social media strategy to align with our mission of distributing the knowledge of experts.
● Grow our social media presence across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, Reddit, and elsewhere, with engaging daily posts and innovative experiments
● Keep informed on and implement new features and effective tactics in social media
● Coach The Conversation’s editorial staff on effective use of social media
● Assist in support of relationships with content republishers, large and small, from Scientific American to the Punxsutawney Spirit, understanding editors’ content needs and workflows and pitching them the stories they’ll want to use under our Creative Commons license
● Manage comment moderation
● Create social videos, from idea to post-production
● Shoot video, light sets, and edit video for social media and other channels
● Adapt articles from The Conversation on subjects ranging from astronomy to zoology
● Interview scholars on breaking news and edit interesting, comprehensible clips.
● Design and animate social media posts
● Identify and explore new opportunities for video content creation, from TikTok to short films
● 3-5 years broadcast journalism experience or college degree with relevant internships
● Proven experience in expanding fans and followers and demonstrated flair in social media and video production.
● 1-2 years video editing experience
● Excellent communication skills
● Team player
To apply, send your resume and a cover letter telling us why you want to work for The Conversation U.S. to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “Social Media & Videographer Content Creator” in the subject line. Please include links to social accounts you have managed and clips in your cover letter.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com