The nonprofit news movement is one of the most rapidly expanding sectors in the news industry. INN is unique in its mission to meet the needs of this group. No other trade association, network or consulting organization specializes in providing support and training to mission-driven organizations that focus on informing the public, holding the powerful accountable and keeping democracy free.
Membership in INN means joining a community of new organizations facing the same issues that you are. Our strict membership standards ensure that everyone we serve is equally committed to transparency and serving the public interest.
Our members get access to specialized training in revenue generation, impact measurement and audience engagement. Members also enjoy free and discounted back-office, technology and distribution services and programs
Revenue & Distribution Services
Every news organization needs to pay the bills and efficiently distribute content to its target audience. To that end, we offer:
- Business Investment: Our two-year INNovation Fund provides opportunities for nonprofit and public-media newsrooms to spur innovation in revenue generation and audience engagement.
- Syndication: We negotiate deals with a variety of news and information distributors, including Google and NewsTex, to help our members monetize their content and reach a wider audience.
- Crowdfunding: INN has partnered with Beacon Reader and other similar platforms to help its membership take advantage of this powerful, yet still emerging revenue stream.
Wherever we can, we strive to help our members improve their bottom line.
- Fiscal Sponsorship: At INN we specialize in helping new nonprofit projects and organizations start up with necessary financial oversight through our fiscal sponsorship program.
- Preferred insurance rates: From Errors & Omissions (media), Directors and Officers and other business insurance, INN has negotiated preferred terms with insurance providers and often provides subsidies to organizations who otherwise cannot afford to sufficiently manage their risk.
- Pro-bono & near-pro-bono legal advice and representation: INN has established relationships with organizations including the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press and the Online Media Legal Network to help members get expert legal advice when they need it most at a price that they can afford.
- Discounted software: INN offers discounts to members through TechSoup so that members pay less for the digital tools that they need to do their jobs.
- Access to world-class datasets: Provided by INN’s strategic relationship with the Investigative Reporters & Editors and their National Institute of Computer Assisted Reporting
No other organization has built more responsive websites for independent news organizations than the Nerds of INN. As a member, you will have access to:
- Free or low-cost website development on INN’s Project Largo, our open-source WordPress platform configured specifically for the needs of today’s independent news outlets.
- Free or low-cost managed hosting, including back-end patching and support.
- Frequent online training and peer group facilitation in digital media best practices as well as one-on-one technical advice and consulting on topics such as digital strategy, application development and vendor selection.
Training & Education
Part of our mission is to record best practices as they emerge and teach them to our membership. To that end, we offer:
- Journo.biz: INN’s trade journal, which is free to all employees of INN members
- Business Training: Our executive training teaches newsroom and nonprofit business leaders how to sustain their business while fulfilling their stated mission.
- Newstraining.org: A repository of courses, best-practice documentation and resources to help educate staff of nonprofit newsrooms.
- Multimedia and Video Training: Practical training in video production for journalists.
- Webinars: Online training from the experts on business practices, funding advice, social media training and more.
As a member of INN you will be part of a movement that is recognized around the world by fellow journalists and funders alike. As a member, you will be standing with organizations that have been around for over 30 years, and others who are just getting started. You will be able to be part of a community that is proving that journalism in the public interest can be sustained and can make a difference to the society, audience and communities that we all serve.
Learn how to become a member today.
Contact INN's Membership Coordinator Laura Bertocci with questions.