Thanks for your interest in joining the Institute for Nonprofit News!
Here’s how it works:
- Before you do anything else, please review the membership standards. INN has community guidelines for editorial and ethical standards and transparency. You’ll need to be in compliance with those guidelines in order to be approved for membership by the INN Board of Directors, and once you join you’ll be required to sign a contract agreeing to them—so study up now and avoid surprises down the road.
- Fill out an application. You’ll be required to pay a $75 nonrefundable fee. This is to ensure you are serious about joining—these fees don’t even come close to covering the time it takes to process your application. (If you want to apply for fiscal sponsorship, you must have a business plan for your organization and fill out the separate sponsorship application.)
- We’ll acknowledge the receipt of your application within one week, send you an informational copy of the INN membership agreement, and then begin our review process. Once we’ve got all of your information, the INN executive director makes a recommendation to our Board of Directors and it will convene for a formal vote. This can take anywhere from 30 to 90 days. If INN staff finds that your organization doesn’t meet membership guidelines, we’ll usually be able to discuss that informally before your application goes to a formal board vote. If the Board has any concerns, an application may be referred to a Board membership task force for consideration.
- If approved, we’ll ask you to sign the membership agreement, and submit the appropriate dues payment before you can officially be considered a member. We are happy to answer any questions you may have. However, unless the document violates your state’s law, we will not make any revisions—it is a standard agreement which all members sign. INN reserves the rights to amend, change, edit and make additions to both the membership standards and/or binding membership agreement at any time with prior notification of at least 30 days to the member organizations.
- Once we have all your documentation in order, we’ll co-sign your agreement and schedule an onboarding call to familiarize you with all of the benefits of membership. Congratulations!
Just starting up? INN offers applicants who qualify for membership, but don’t yet have a 501(c)3 status or fiscal sponsorship, the opportunity to join INN as provisional members. This enables you to join the listserv, participate in INN trainings and contribute your knowledge to the network while your fiscal sponsorship or 501(c)3 applications are pending. You’ll find more information in the section on membership standards.
INN dues cover everyone in your organization You can find all the details on our Membership Dues page.
Please contact INN at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about this process.