Do you have experience in growing digital news audiences? INN has a position open with the Amplify News Project, a grant-funded pilot program designed to raise the visibility and expand the reach of the work produced by nonprofit newsrooms in the Midwest. We’re looking for someone with a passion for journalism and excellent news judgment to play a key role in connecting the right content with the right publications and distribution channels.
Hours are 15-40 hours per week and are primarily in the morning, though the day may be split up depending on the workload. It’s an ideal position if you have recently graduated from a journalism or marketing program with some newsroom or content marketing experience and want to deepen your digital distribution/audience development portfolio.
The Amplify News Project works remotely and on-site in Chicago, where the director and several INN members are based. While we’d like to have our team in the same place, we will consider exceptional candidates outside the area who are self-motivated and have experience working remotely.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Curating and distributing Amplify member content to relevant organizations (via various platforms) for republication, curation or sharing
- Creating databases of member, media and stakeholder organizations to support targeted story distribution via email management systems and social media
What we’re looking for in a candidate:
- Solid news judgment – especially as it relates to regional or national appeal
- Content promotion/placement experience – you’ll be identifying audiences for our members’ journalism
- Well organized – we work with 20+ members in the program and 140+ INN members
- Detail-oriented with acute attention to accuracy
- High aptitude for web-based technology – we use services like Feedly, Mailchimp, Crowdtangle, Google apps/sheets, just to name a few
- Ability to leverage spreadsheets as databases – you’ll be sorting, filtering, deduping, creating pivot tables and running vlookups, or have a willingness to learn
- Excellent communications skills – you’ll be interacting with diverse internal and external audiences on different platforms, from executives via email to social media managers on Slack
- Experimental and resourceful – a willingness to experiment in search of better solutions
- Familiarity with the media landscape in the Midwest
- Familiarity with content marketing techniques is an added bonus
What we’re about
The Institute for Nonprofit News is a growing network supporting more than 140 nonprofit news media, founded by journalists and community leaders across the country to bring better news coverage and information to thousands of diverse communities. It is a membership organization that incubates news startups, provides training and services and also functions as an innovation network helping members develop new ways to support journalism and serve their communities. INN’s work helps newsrooms bring investigative and civic news to more people, hold the powerful accountable and build participation in public life. More information can be found at INN.org.
Compensation & Conditions
This is a salaried position, which includes some benefits. Though Amplify News Project is based in Chicago, this position is flexible and we are open to non-Chicago-based candidates working remotely. Previous experience working remotely would be helpful but we’ll do whatever we can to help and support your transition if this is your first remote job.
We value diversity, work in the open and do everything we can to give back to the journalism community (Read more about our team values).
INN is an equal opportunity employer and we seek to increase diversity in our own operation and in the news media. We encourage applications from communities traditionally underrepresented in this field.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://goo.gl/forms/oTRdD6Ki7iK8ZzMT2 →