CivicStory Seeks Multi-Media Journalist as Editor
Job Posting: Editor – 4/18/18
CivicStory is a unique nonprofit news site that produces short videos highlighting civics, sustainability, and creative change in New Jersey and beyond. Our mission is two-pronged: to advance solutions-based news about individuals and organizations transforming their communities, and to engage people in dialog about the role of news in empowering citizens and strengthening our democracy. The Editor will provide dynamic journalistic leadership that enables CivicStory to develop and define its goals and significantly broaden its reach and impact.
The Editor’s role (approx. 25-30 hrs/wk) is an exciting opportunity for a humanities-oriented journalist with superior writing, editing, multi-media, and organizational skill to have extensive input in setting our direction. We’re as interested in creating dialogue that effects change in the content of news as we are about creating original solutions-based content. The Editor will work with the Creative Director/Publisher and board officers to engage news leaders, set our publication schedule and aims, and help us cultivate program and project support.
The successful candidate is self-motivated, flexible, forward-thinking, and passionate about words and ideas that engage a diverse citizenry. Compensation $35K-$40K; position could evolve as organizational resources increase. The Editor will report to the Board, and help coordinate our part-time team of four.
1. Contribute bi-weekly original articles or blog posts; engage journalists/editors in new CivicStory videos, and creatively repurpose existing video content.
2. Build relationships with news partners, journalism schools, and university broadcasting programs.
3. Broaden awareness of CivicStory through outreach to diverse community and business leaders; track audience growth metrics; engage readers/viewers in broadening the ‘civics space’ in news.
4. Support the board’s efforts to cultivate sponsor, foundation, and donor relationships; attend bi-monthly board meetings or committee meetings; co-lead team meetings by phone.
5. Tell us how the above should change in order for you to be most effective.
· Passion for empowering citizens of all backgrounds to participate fully in community life
· Excellent writing and analytical skills. Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
· Multi-media and social media skills; knowledge of digital content management systems
· 3-4 years journalism and/or assignment editing
· Microsoft Word / Excel skills
· Education: Bachelor or Master’s degree in Journalism, or equivalent experience
Availability Late June/Early July 2018; 25-30 hrs/wk
· Flexible schedule; residence in New Jersey preferred
· Reports to the Board and attends board meetings or committee meetings as needed
· Involves some evenings, occasional weekend events, and attending professional conferences
· Please send a resume and cover letter describing your interest in the position and in CivicStory’s mission, two samples of published work (650 to 1,000 words), and contact information for three professional references to the Chair, Editor Search Team, Editors@CivicStory.org by May 8.
· We’re seeking applicants of diverse backgrounds.
All submissions are confidential.