FERN seeks freelance audio producer for podcast series
We’re looking for a freelance producer for a four- to five-episode podcast about the environmental challenges farmers and communities in the Mississippi River basin face in the era of climate change. The region has seen both record floods and periods of drought over the past few years, touching everything from farms to small town life. It will be a series anchored by a lead producer working with audio reporters on episodes that would run 20-30 minutes long.
Aside from serving as the anchor voice of the series, the producer would oversee production, work with reporters on their scripts, and craft a narrative for the series. One episode will flow to the next, with each piece examining a different aspect of the question on how climate change is altering this region. The producer should have pre-existing relationships in the audio world and assist FERN on placement of the series. Funding for the series has been secured. We expect to begin in early 2021, with work concluding in the fourth quarter of 2021. The lead producer must have extensive audio production experience, with a body of work in podcasts. Familiarity with environmental, climate change, agricultural issues in the Midwest a plus. This is an independent contractor position.
The producer will:
- Develop a narrative frame for the series
- Seek out and secure audio reporters for pitches
- Collaborate with FERN editors on the overarching theme, with distinctive story segments
- Work closely with audio reporters to develop their scripts, including a timeline for production, potential interviews, travel and all audio needs
- Act as anchor voice for the series
- Manage music requirements
- Manage overall budget for the series in collaboration with FERN editors
- Significant experience creating in-depth audio stories
- A portfolio that highlights your distinctive approach to storytelling
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and within a team setting
- Experience scripting and editing compelling narrative stories
- Experience working with freelance audio reporters
- A network of contacts to facilitate placement of the series
- Knowledge of and interest in environmental topics, including climate change, agriculture, Mississippi River basin, and related topics.
Your application should include your resume and a cover letter describing your interest in the position. Include links to examples of your work and descriptions of your role on relevant previous projects. FERN believes a diverse, open, and inclusive work environment is essential to the strength of our organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for this project without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identiy, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Send applications to Executive Editor Brent Cunningham, firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com