Website Institute for Nonprofit News
INN is seeking a full-time staff accountant to assist in the daily operations of a national membership, development and social enterprise organization.
The position is based at our office in downtown Los Angeles, or possibly remote.
This is an outstanding opportunity with a growing nonprofit for an enterprising individual interested in philanthropy or nonprofit management. INN is a national network of news sites that are creating a new sector in American news media, one that is nonprofit, nonpartisan, and with one purpose: public service. The Institute for Nonprofit News supports nearly 240 of these independent newsrooms. Together, we aim to strengthen the sources of trusted information for thousands of diverse communities.
This position supports the Director of Finance and Operations with professional level day-to-day grants management, general ledger account management, accounts payable and receivable, timely processing of funding requests, financial reporting, and other accounting and technical assistance. This is a key position that intersects with program, development, technical and membership staff across the country as well as key staff within our member organizations.
Accounting responsibilities include:
- Perform fund accounting duties for INN and numerous nonprofit organizations in accordance with GAAP and applicable Federal and State regulations
- Ensure funding requests are reviewed and processed appropriately and expenditures are properly recorded in the general ledger, including grant funding source(s), account code, function, program and contract
- Professionally communicate and coordinate with internal departments and fiscally sponsored project with regards to contracts, programs, funding requests and budget matters
- Track, monitor and analyze fiscally sponsored project’s monthly expenditures to ensure expenses are within the projects’s charitable purpose and communicate any variances
- Prepare monthly reports for fiscally sponsored projects as well as calculations of administrative fees and reimbursed expenses for INN
- Maintain and update spreadsheets accordingly for fiscally sponsored projects, grant management for INN and fiscally sponsored projects
- Cash receipt activities – prepare donations received for processing in CRM and accounting databases, assign/review grant and account codes for entry, retain copy of all donation documents; prepare bank deposit slips for bank deposit
- Cash disbursement activities – assign accounting, grant and functional expense allocations for review and/or processing
- Process/print checks/ACH disbursements from automated accounting system (QuickBooks); prepare documents for scanning/filing; prepare monthly bank reconciliations
- Assist with grant, donor and membership record-keeping in CRM database
- Assist in implementing and maintaining internal controls and accounting policies and procedures of INN and offer innovative enhancements to operations and process
- Assist in year-end audit process, including preparation of sub-account
Here are some desired skills and attributes for the position (we understand you might not meet all of these but if this roughly sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you). You bring:
- An acute attention to detail along with strong mathematical skills.
- Logical thinking to analyze and solve problems.
- An ability to communicate information and ideas clearly, as well as concisely, both written and
oral. Strong proofreading and copyediting skills are a plus.
- Extensive experience working with QuickBooks Online.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and nonprofit fund accounting.
- Experience in project management.
- Strong software skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google documents systems,
- Dropbox and similar cloud-based filing systems. Knowledge of CRM systems such as
- NEON/Salesforce or project management software and/or presentation software are a plus.
- An ability to figure out new systems and programs as needed and work comfortably in a Mac
environment is important.
- Self-direction to manage ongoing tasks and make sure they completed on schedule, track time
and effort and report progress along the way.
- Resourcefulness; figuring out how to get things done even if there isn’t a pattern for it.
Compensation & Conditions:
This position is located in INN’s DTLA office, near the Staples Center. Possible remote location could be considered.
Salary commensurate with experience.
We value diversity, work in the open and do everything we can to give back to the journalism and nonprofit communities (Read more about our team values). INN is an equal opportunity employer and we’re actively seeking to increase diversity in our own operation and in the news media. We encourage applications from communities traditionally underrepresented in news media or philanthropy.
Applicants should email a PDF of their resume and cover letter to INN’s Director of Finance and Operations, Chip Potts, email@example.com.
The Institute for Nonprofit News is an incubator and support network for nonprofit newsrooms, strengthening the sources of independent, public service information for thousands of communities across the U.S. We are the only organization in the U.S. specifically focused on supporting the emerging nonprofit news sector.
The INN member network includes nearly 240 nonprofit news organizations dedicated to providing credible, nonpartisan news as a public service. INN provides a framework for collaboration and helps members develop new ways to support reliable news reporting, engage diverse communities and find business, technology and leadership support. Together, we work to bring investigative and civic news to more communities, hold the powerful accountable and give people knowledge to participate more fully in the public life of our democracy. More information can be found at inn.org.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org