Website The Conversation US
The Conversation has become a “go to place” for readers looking for research-based information on health and medicine as well as for scholars who want to reach the general public with their research. We are looking for a journalist and editor with 5-7 years of experience to work closely with our Senior Health and Medicine Editor. You will cover a range of topics – including the COVID-19 pandemic, public health, consumer health and medical science by commissioning and editing articles from scholars in these fields to help us grow our readership and impact in this important area.
The ideal candidate will have in-depth knowledge of the main issues in health and medicine today as well as experience working in a daily news environment as either a reporter/writer or editor.
The Conversation US (TCUS) is an independent, non-profit media organization that publishes daily news analysis and commentary written by academics, edited by journalists, and aimed at the general public. Our team of journalists works with academics across the U.S. to help the general public make sense of important news. We take our work seriously but we also offer a fun and flexible work culture with great benefits and lots of opportunity to shine.
This full-time position is currently a work-from home job. Eventually, we prefer to hire somebody in a city where we have an office, including Atlanta where our Senior and Health editor works or in Boston or New York. We will consider candidates in other locations.
The Conversation is deeply committed to inclusion and diversity. We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented groups – including those who are Black, Latinx, Asian American, Native and LGBTQ or armed services veterans to apply to join our team.
- Work closely with the Senior Health and Medicine editor to cover public health, consumer health and medical science
- Commission and edit explanatory articles from leading academic experts for general readership.
- Respond to pitches from academic authors
- Discover leading researchers in science and health and recruit as authors
- Photo research to illustrate articles
- College degree – a masters degree is not required
- 5 – 7 years of work experience
- Highly organized, articulate, strong writer with the ability to write to a daily deadline, manage multiple tasks and work as part of a diverse collaborative team with high standards
- Ability to be productive while working remotely
- Ability to develop story ideas of interest to the public
- Experience in online content production
How to apply for this job:
Send your resume and a cover letter telling us why you want to work for The Conversation to email@example.com with the words “Assistant Health and Medicine Editor” in the subject line.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org