The INN Box: Business & Strategy Office Hours
Most INN members went into business because of their passion for investigative and public service journalism, yet to sustain the organization, they’ve had to expand their business acumen. This juggling act can be challenging. That’s where we can help.
Bring your strategy and business questions, ideas and challenges to the weekly ZOOM video chat sessions held Wednesdays 3-4 pm EST. More information here.
Who could benefit from these chat sessions?
- Are crafting a business model and need some guidance.
- Want to develop a business plan, but aren’t sure where to start or how to approach the task.
- Are wrestling which how to prioritize various audience, revenue and distribution models for nonprofit news.
- Those facing a strategic shift or crossroads and need help thinking it through.
- Have created a business plan draft and need some objective feedback.
- Have an idea for a new revenue stream, but aren’t sure how to go from idea to execution.
- Are diversifying into advertising/underwriting revenue and need assistance with a sales strategy and implementation plans.
- Need help building financial projections.
- Want to better understand the story your financials are telling you.
Drawing on the experience of our 100+ members, INN has developed a comprehensive set of resources and guides on the business and practice of journalism for emerging news nonprofits. (A note: we also think it's important for nascent organizations to think through a variety of ethical issues. Our ethics policies resource is available here.)
Reduce legal liability by developing website and ethical policies, and contracts for freelancers and third parties. Guide includes sample policies and contracts.
INN’s overview of the basics of nonprofit-news entrepreneurship. Includes management and infrastructure issues.
How-to resources on a wide variety of revenue streams for news nonprofits, and advice on developing capacity and strategies for fund development.
The INN Outreach and Marketing Guide provides an overview and in-depth resources for developing the nonprofit news audience, and connecting with individuals and communities that value nonprofit news.
Not finding what you need here? Let us know.